Earlier today, IBM Lotus released Symphony 3.0, a major new version of the OpenOffice-based desktop productivity editors. Symphony 3.0 features major improvements in usability, integration, programmability, and compatibility. For those of you who have been using Notes 8 (where Symphony is already bundled for you) or just wanted the freedom to say no to Microsoft Office – this is a welcome upgrade with some new functionality. Business could do worse that pilot Symphony – especially those with diverse operating systems requirements – since Symphony runs on Windows , Macs and Linux !!
- Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11, RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 4, Ubuntu 8.04
- Macintosh OS X 10.5, Macintosh OS X 10.6.2, Intel only
So from the release site …….. heres where you can download it and heres a summary of whats new
New in IBM® Lotus® SymphonyTM 3?
- VBA scripts support
- ODF 1.2 standard support
- Office 2007 OLE support
- Brand new sidebars containing enriched property sections and panels across different editors, with support of sidebar panel management to show or hide sidebar panels
- Ability to customize toolbar content and layout
- Ability to create new business cards and labels
- Ability to insert OLE, audio and video files
- Master document support
- Support of Live Text
- Enabled file encryption and password protection with Microsoft Word and Excel files
- Support for “Open in new window”. Users can use Command+~ on Mac OS and Alt + Tab on XP/Vista to switch windows
- New clip art gallery
- More template files
- Support of VML images in OOXML files
- Support of more parameters for protecting spreadsheet files and sheets in VBA API
- Support of separate downloads of spell check dictionary addons for 22 languages for Windows OS users
- Support of same build re-installation in silent mode on Windows
- Support of online check of new product updates
- Better graphic object rendering through improved anti-aliasing
- Refined main menu and toolbar design for better usability and consistency across editors
- Ability to open a file by dragging and dropping it to a tab or empty workbench
- Better usability during the operation of dragging graphic objects
- Enhanced the usability in manipulating color property with new color picker controls
- Enabled new progress bar to launch and load/save files
- Enabled memorizing user file paths when inserting objects into file
- Added one click link to LotusLive website on homepage
- Improved accessibility support for graphic objects in files and help
- Various additional user experience enhancements
- Significant enhancement in online help content and structure
- Enabled native nested tables support.
- Enabled multi-page view layout support.
- Support of Auto Text
- More fields support
- Custom properties
- Outline levels within paragraph
- Enhanced PDF export support.
- Improved document notes function.
- Enhancements in supporting much more types of fields in documents.
- Ability to select rectangle region of text in document editor.
- Ability to set bullets and numbering in multiple table cells at a time.
- Document header and footer function enhancements and usability improvements
- Enhanced the interoperability with MS Word documents that contains page grid layout content
- Extended maximum number of columns from 256 to 1024.
- Sheet specific zoom support.
- Text to column value convert support.
- Detective function.
- Solve equations and solver.
- “What if” function.
- Inline array constants in formulas.
- Dynamic ranges in validation lists.
- More formulas.
- Improved sort and formula performance.
- Enhancement in moving rows or columns easily through dragging column headers.
- Ability to select multiple sheets.
- Formula hot hints.
- Flexible source range selection
- Enabled multiple calculation in one sheet of the Lotus Spreadsheet editor, including mixed sort and filter, as well as multiple sort areas.
- Enabled sorting instant filters in Lotus Spreadsheet
- Enhanced functionality and usability in “import data from external file” function
- Enhanced the support of auto selection in files with built-in database ranges
- Multi-monitor display support.
- More presentation animation effects.
- More page layouts.
- More drawing objects.
- More fontwork.
- Support of copy and paste pages or objects together with animation effects.
- Significantly improved user experience in managing and using templates.
- Enhancement in slide show effect through hardware acceleration for graphics.
- Improved crop feature.
- Support of switching between four different views in presentation by clicking tabs at the bottom of the screen.
- Disabled Autosave during Lotus Presentation slide show to avoid the unexpected interruption
- Enhanced the Presentation text objects undo and redo function
- Significantly improved chart experience through new chart engine.
- New chart creation wizard.
- Many newly added formatting options.
- More chart types: Column and Line, Cylinder, Cone, Pyramid…
Symphony 1.3 features disabled in Symphony 3 releases
- Ability to import SmartSuite files.
- Freehand table.
- Presentation print preview.
- Ability to create new XForm document
- Connector support in document editor